Divorce is highly personal decision, but the process of filing for divorce in Delray Beach, Florida is a legal process that involves the courts, division of assets and debts, and, if you have children, it could raise questions about the future of your family. Much is at stake when a couple decides to get divorced. If you own a home, you and your former partner will have to decide about how to divide assets and property. If you have debts, you will have to make decisions that could affect your financial health for decades to come. Finally, if you have children, you’ll have to decide on a parenting plan that meets the best interests of your children. With so many critical issues on the line, you need a divorce attorney in Delray Beach, Florida like the The Law Offices of Melissa Anne Murray, PA. Our firm will take the time to get to know your family, your situation, and help you file for divorce in a timely manner.
Divorce Law: How to File for Divorce in Delray Beach, Florida
By the time a couple has decided to file for divorce, they’ve already faced immense hardships. The road to divorce is seldom an easy one. However, once you have decided to file for divorce, there are some steps you should consider before you actually file. A qualified divorce lawyer in Delray Beach, Florida can help you with divorce filing, but there are things you can do to be prepared, even before you meet with your divorce attorney. Here are some things to consider:
- Review your family’s financial situation. Review prior year’s tax returns, get printouts of family bank accounts, and get paperwork for any retirement plans or investments. You’ll need this information later, when you and your former partner are working out a divorce settlement. Keep records of family debts and, if you have a house, find out what balance you owe on the mortgage.
- Consider your own finances. If you have a job, is it enough to support you? Will you need additional training in order to support yourself? It can be helpful to have a realistic idea of what you’ll need and the steps you’ll need to take to become financially independent after your divorce.
- Ask, “Who is the best divorce lawyer in Delray Beach, Florida?” Every divorce is unique and the best lawyer will the one who takes the time to understand your unique challenges, concerns, and needs. Do your research and have a set of questions ready when you meet your divorce attorney.
- Consider your goals for your children. Florida’s child custody laws place the best interests of the child first. Barring extreme circumstances, most courts will award joint custody. It might be a good idea to take a realistic look at your schedule, your partner’s schedule, and your children’s needs to determine the best arrangement that works for your whole family.
- Be mindful of what you say and do before your divorce is finalized. The actions you take after you and your former partner separate can have an immense impact on the outcome of your divorce case. For instance, you are generally not permitted to make large purchases and sales. There are laws in place that prohibit individuals from spending marital assets or running up large debts out of spite. For many people, the road to divorce is long and hard and the final decision to separate can feel like a breath of fresh air, but you may want to avoid opening a Tinder account, at least until your divorce is finalized. In some instances, particularly in a contentious divorce, dating, even while separated can be considered adultery. Additionally, you may want to be mindful of what you post on social media during your divorce. Share details with your support network—but in private. Anything you post can be used against you during the divorce.
Click Here To Schedule A Free Consultation >>
- Build your support network. Find community connections, stay in touch with friends and family, and consider finding a counselor to help you and your children during this difficult time. Divorce can be incredibly emotionally taxing for all parties involved. Don’t suffer alone.
If you are going through a divorce, a qualified divorce lawyer in Delray Beach, Florida can help. The Law Offices of Melissa Anne Murray, PA can offer you and your family the guidance you might need during this challenging time. Our attorneys understand the complex questions that can arise as formerly married individuals disentangle their lives. We can help you.
Divorce Attorney in Delray Beach, Florida
Whether you are facing a challenging divorce, child custody disagreements, or just need help with divorce filing in Delray Beach, Florida, The Law Offices of Melissa Anne Murray, PA can offer you the assistance you may need. Our firm can help answer your questions about child custody, divorce filing processes, and division of debts and assets. Whatever your situation, The Law Offices of Melissa Anne Murray, PA strives to be among the best divorce lawyers in Delray Beach, Florida. Our dedication to our clients, our commitment to our clients’ outcomes, and our personalized attention mean our clients get our very best—every day.